Saturday, March 3, 2012


Sunday, March 4

            Okay, I know what day it is and I’m not seeing two of everything.  It’s going to be a good day!  The name of the hotel I’m staying at is the Alexander Hotel.  Some might call it Spartan but it’s clean; I had plenty of blankets for the cold night; my back is feeling great so the mattress gets a passing grade; and I had a hot shower this am though the line between scalding and ice water was razor thin.  The feel of the hotel’s neighborhood is very urban with lots of car and foot traffic.  The police are constantly back and forth in front of the hotel lobby window and I’m not sure yet if they ever actually turn off their sirens.  My room is on the sixth floor and from the window the hilly terrain jumps right out at you.  Multi-story buildings surround and houses as far as the eye can see.  I mentioned last night that the hotel owner pointed out the most recent Jewish settlement near Bethlehem.  He did that from the back window of the lobby from which you can see quite a distance.  Although you enter the lobby on street level, when you go to look out its back window you are five stories up and there’s a sprawling valley of urban expanse before you.  It’ quite striking now that I’m actually seeing the area by day light. 
            Breakfast is at 8:30 this am.  There are only a handful in the guests staying in the hotel right now.  The owner said that it will soon fill up quickly as we progress further into Lent.  He and his wife will cook up breakfast for us.  From there it’s impromptu walking tours; go to church; and a wonderful free day before the start of the conference tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment