Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blessed Are the Peace Makers


Tuesday, March 6 2012

            The conference began today.  You know the drill: speaker and then another speaker and then another speaker and then another speaker and then, oh yeah, one more speaker!  They were all very good and I’ll share in just a second but here’s a little secret about me – I’m terrible at sitting still for very long.  I always have been which is one of the reasons I stand on Sundays during church instead of sit.  So while a day like today is challenging for everyone, it ends up being a just a liiiitttle extra challenging for your truly!!  (insert feeling sorry for me now)  I’ve been wondering what my posts will be about for the rest of the week during this conference but as I listened to some of the speakers it dawned on me – some of what was shared today can be heard in only a few places in the world because much of it comes from Christians who have suffered a great deal for the cause of Christ.  As a North American I’ve actually never heard first-hand what some of the speakers shared today.  Maybe you’re like me and would be blessed to hear this also?!
            So a quote from a Palestinian pastor, Labeeb Madanat, who has been up to his eyeballs in peace making between Israelis and Palestinians.  He told his story of how he went from bitter hatred for the Israelis to learning how to genuinely love them.  This quote comes from this pastor – a man who actually had a friend and work partner killed as a result of the conflict in Palestine:
We can become so consumed with our own pain and suffering that we cannot feel the pain and suffering of our neighbor.  God calls us to deny ourselves regardless of who has suffered more.  It requires us to deny our own pain.  Jesus wants our relationships to be defined by what he has done for us while we were yet enemies of God.  We easily say: But what about our pain?  What about us?  But we begin correctly when we begin with forgiveness.  Are we victim or are we victor?  We can always play the victim or throw the pity party.  But this is not what Christ wants us to do or be.  The world sees foolishness and weakness but God sees it as strength and wisdom.”
I was going to edit this quote to shorten it but I keep reading it over and can’t bring myself to do it.  The words certainly speak to me as one who enjoys being the life of the pity party.  But then I think: What do I have to complain about?  Whatever hardships and difficulties I have (if any) are nothing compared to Christians living in a land like this.  These are Christians that are actively practicing the gospel under some of the worst conditions on earth.  They are living what has to be the most difficult life possible.  They are working to love their enemy.  I know I can talk about loving my enemy but I’m not sure that I actually ever have done it.  What would that take for me to learn to do that?  What would have to change within me?  Would I actually be willing to change to love my enemy?  Truthfully, I don’t know.  Just being honest. 
            Remember Michael?  He’s the restaurant owner who asked “How are you with God?  And with the Holy Spirit?”  Our little pastor posse found him after lunch and we had coffee together.  It was fun to visit and laugh.  We got to hear a little more about his family and his life in Bethlehem.  He exudes thanksgiving to God in a way that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen before.  I think that’s what drew us back to him.  We just wanted to sit and enjoy his love and laughter some more.  We ended our time together with prayer and promised to meet again before the end of the conference.
            Got to get up early tomorrow morning (5:30 am) and go on a field trip to watch what happens at the check point of Jerusalem every morning.  Any Palestinian that wants to go into Jerusalem has to first get a permit (and I’m told that’s an iffy proposition) and then get in line to go through the security check point.  It can take up to three hours to get through the check point so people that have to be in Jerusalem early start lining up at 3:00 am.  Jerusalem is just 6 km away.  I’m also told that sometimes Israeli guards can be somewhat abusive during the process.  At the very least, it has to be degrading to go through that just to leave your town to get to the next town over.  Obviously, the check points are there for a reason and the history of bombings against Israelis has been well documented for a long time.  I’d probably want a check point too if I lived in Jerusalem.  But it sounds like the check points have become far more than just a “check”.  It is a way to control and marginalize an entire people group that lives in the same land as you do.  I’m sure more stories to follow on this one.
            Got to get to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment